Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at BellaVista DentalCare in Phoenix AZ.
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association. If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss. Here are five critical things you should keep in mind!
- Daily brushing and flossing and regular dental exams are the best way to prevent gum disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
- Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene – especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Gum disease may be one of the best examples of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at BellaVista DentalCare in Phoenix AZ, you can prevent gum disease. People from Ahwatukee, South Phoenix, and Mesa come to our practice for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!