Tooth enamel is the hardest part of the human body, but that doesn’t mean teeth are indestructible. Far from it! To keep them healthy and problem-free, the team at BellaVista DentalCare in Phoenix AZ strongly recommends you avoid the following.
- Hard Foods: We’re looking at you, un-popped popcorn kernels and hard candy.
- Hard Objects: This includes fingernails, pencils, pen caps, and ice.
- Tooth Grinding: If you grind your teeth, ask us about an oral appliance.
- Sticky Food: Gummy candy, dried fruit, and even protein bars can break teeth.
- Drinking Anything Beside Water: If your teeth are constantly bathed in soda – sugared or diet – or if you partake in juice, coffee, or sports drinks often, you are asking for dental issues.
- Playing Sports Without a Mouthguard: Sports pose a major risk of tooth damage. Most children are required to wear a protective mouthguard on the playing field, but adults tend to be less vigilant. Custom-fitted mouth-guards are more comfortable than the cheap boil-and-bite type.
- Using a Hard-Bristled Toothbrush: A hard-bristled tooth brush can weaken teeth and cause gums to pull away. We recommend a soft, or extra-soft toothbrush!
- Ignoring Dry Mouth: Saliva is important. It helps to rinse food particles from your mouth as well as neutralize the acids that cause plaque. Constant dry mouth, or xerostomia, can lead to tooth decay. Talk to us if you have persistent dry mouth.
- Using Teeth as Tools: Take a minute to find a pair of scissors before you tear open a package of lunch meat or pry the lid of a medicine bottle. Use a nutcracker if you are eating unshelled nuts. A quality dental crown can cost over eight hundred dollars!
- Ignoring Bad Breath: Bad breath might be a symptom of accelerating tooth decay. Discuss it with us.
- Ignoring Jaw Pain: If you suffer from jaw pain or notice a clicking sound, be sure to let us know! These can be signs of a condition called temporomandibular disorder (TMD).
If you’ve already damaged a tooth, come see us at BellaVista DentalCare in Phoenix AZ. We offer complete general and restorative dentistry, and have helped patients throughout Ahwatukee, South Phoenix, and Mesa. We also offer cosmetic options. Contact us today!